Monday, November 9, 2015

Week 12 Review

This week, I decided to get a head start on the review by looking at today's announcements for the class. As I was scrolling through what grabbed my attention was the Indian Words in English post about the word Zen. As mentioned in the post, I have heard about the word Zen many times before, know that it's a reference to Buddhism, and is used in the context of meditation, but that's about it. I personally have meditated before so I was interested to learning more about the background of the word. For example, as found in the post, I had no idea that the word, in English, comes from the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese word "chan," and that that is from the Sanskrit dhyana which actually means meditation. Learning new things like this is always fun and it's cool to be able to know this information and now be able to connect it to other things in the world.

"Buddha Sculpture"
Source: MythFolklore Online Course Announcements

No comments:

Post a Comment