Thursday, September 24, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Great Plains

Link to the extra reading diary unit can be found here.

Sacred Legend

  • Interesting on the idea that the first people came from water.
  • Part where a man figured out how to make fire and it was the first time anyone had seen it and weren't sure what the phenomenon was. Reminds me of the "caveman" theory
  • A lot of intelligence 
  • Were able to come up with a lot of ideas with how to survive on not much. Also how to build certain things to aid in their survival
  • Man with the seeds-coincidental 
  • Cool storytelling method
  • Animal theme
  • I liked the way the story turned around. You have a bullying situation from the Grizzly Bear to Buffalo Bull and then Buffalo Bull finally stands up for himself
  • I also like the animals were given a voice
  • Funny at the end how Grizzly Bear wanted to be friends with Buffalo Bull just because he got bested by him and because he was treated like he treated Buffalo Bull
  • Blurs line between reality and fantasy
  • At first I thought the stranger was going to be the Eagle that had been killed
  • Stranger vanished-turned out to be the brother of the Eagle
  • I feel like if I had retold this I wouldn't change much because I like how it was put together in only 300 words, but maybe I would have the stranger actually be the Eagle and possibly have the revenge be haunting the hunter for a while.
"Buffalo"
Source: Mythology and Folklore UnTextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment