Friday, September 11, 2015

Storybook Styles

Topic: I decided to center my storybook around the topic of African stories having to do about the moon and/or stars. I'm really excited about this because there's always been something I loved about the night time, the moon, stars and constellations so it will be nice to incorporate that and have my background in there since the stories are from Africa. After researching stories, I decided that I want to use the story "The Girl of the Early Race, Who Made Stars" and the Nigerian story "Why the Moon Waxes and Wanes." I think these interesting tales will fit well with my topic and vision for my storybook!

The Moon and Stars
Source: Pixabay

Bibliography:
1.) The Girl of the Early Race, Who Made Stars, from Specimens of Bushman Folklore by W.H.I. Bleek and L.C. Lloyd (1911).
2.) Why the Moon Waxes and Wanes, from Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910).

Possible Styles:

First-Person Perspective-I struggled to decide whether I wanted the stories to be told from first-person or third-person but I ultimately chose first. I like using first person because I think it will give me a good chance to connect with just the main character and see how that goes. I believe this way I can make it more personal and hopefully more creative.

Love Story- Personally I really like romance stories and creating stories around that idea. It's cool to figure out ways to build a relationship within a plot and make it an epic love story. I'm not sure if I want it to be between two humans or possibly the moon or stars, but I feel that I'm leaning more towards human characters and, of course, making the moon and stars a strong main part. That would probably be for part of the story as I'm planning on doing the frametale route.

Adventure- Who doesn't love a good, adventurous story? I didn't want my story to be a simple, easy story of two people just falling in love. I want it to have adventure and a gripping journey. I was thinking of having it based somewhere in Africa, or even having Africa just be a place where something very important happens.

Night- Of course, with the moon and stars being topic, I wanted the night time to play a huge role in the plot and scenic aspects of the story. Whether there be a recurring theme, or the main character's connection to it, I can definitely see it this being included in a major way.

No comments:

Post a Comment