Friday, September 11, 2015

Reading Diary A: Indian Fairy Tales

The link to this unit can be found here

The Lion and the Crane

  • Crane and lion-unlikely companions
  • I like how the crane did a good deed for the lion even though he was hesitant about it.
  • I could see this story going a different route, more specifically, having a different ending. The crane could have flew away and then maybe came back. It also could be a told in a way that the crane continues to do favors not returned by the lion.
  • This could lead to the lion being in bigger trouble or ultimately really suffering because he did not return the cranes favors.


The Broken Pot

  • Ha, this was definitely an interesting read. Reading the majority of it I felt sad for the character Svabhavakripana since he had to beg to get food. 
  • It was nice reading the middle of the plot because even though it might not have been a lot, he had dreams and goals of what he could do with the rice.
  • The ending was a little twist, it kind of seemed like small karma to me because of him dreaming of kicking his wife and then he ending up kicking his pot full of rice. 

The Magic Fiddle

  • Reminds of a previous story I read of a girl being turned into a harp
  • I think it's good that she was turned back into a human as I thought she might remain a fiddle.
  • Nice ending*


Harisarman

  • Village name*
  • "Secret crimes manifest themselves by means of fear"
  • I liked this story. It wasn't right that the Brahman prospered by lying. There was some humor, though, in how many coincidences there were in his favor. If I changed anything it would be the ending outcome.

Harisarman
Source: Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

1 comment:

  1. Hello there!

    I thought I would check out your Reading Diary post and I like the way you do things! It seems tat bullet points are effective for you. I think I want to try that because it makes your thoughts clear, concise, and easy to refer to. I also see that you noted specific quotes from the story. I think this is a good idea because sometimes the author puts words in a really awesome way!

    ReplyDelete