Saturday, September 26, 2015

Reading Diary A: West African Folktales

The link to the reading unit can be here.

How Wisdom Became the Property of the Human Race

  • The fact that the punishment was not like a regular one people would expect, instead it was to take away his wisdom from them.
  • Put it into a pot
  • I like the ending where he finds out his son knew something he didn't think of first and then the wisdom he tried to hide instead escaped from the pot and spread everywhere
  • The character's name of Nothing
  • I liked how his name is Nothing yet he was rich and had really fine clothing
  • It seemed weird to me that Anansi attempted to kill Nothing when he was the one who took his clothes and Nothing agreed to it. It was his own fault he lied. 
  • The fact that Anansi succeeded in his attempt made me upset, but the ending part with the reason you see a child crying was very interesting to me in how they tied it all together. 
  • If I retold it, the ending definitely would be different
  • I also would probably change the middle of the plot emphasizing on Nothing and his wife
  • Animals given a voice
  • The fact that there was a court. Really gives a humanistic approach. It was kind of funny to imagine this. It would be cool to retell this with a focus on this part. 
  • Karma at the end. I'm glad the spiders didn't get away with it but it's still sad for the squirrel who never got justice. - Another thing that could be changed
"Squirrel"
Source: MythFolklore UnTextbook


No comments:

Post a Comment