Monday, September 28, 2015

Reading Diary A: Stories from Congo

The link to this reading unit can be found here.

How Gazelle Got Married

  • Taking husbands theme
  • Interesting how it focuses on animals as if they were humans. 
  • The back and forth journey of the dog was kind of funny; getting hungry, satisfying that hunger, forgetting the names of the daughters, then getting thirsty, satisfying that thirst and forgetting the names again.
  • Bargain between dog and Nsassi
  • I like the name Nsassi for a characters name, I probably wouldn't change this
  • Haha, another funny part how on the way to see the two girls both Nsassi and the dog had forgotten the names and the dog had to go once more to figure it out. 
  • I think the ending was kind of out of the blue how the antelope returned in the plot but it was interesting to see how they tied up that end.
  • Reminds me of the contrast between Anansi and Nothing
  • I like how the dream portion became a reality the next day for Buite
  • It's sad how the story ended, and how his brother continued to treat him. I feel that I might change the ending up a bit. I think it might make for sense for the dream to have just been a dream, of course, but stories have the ability to be however they want to be.
  • If I retold it I would probably have Buite keep his riches and his brother lose his and then go from there
  • Wondering why the younger brother left
  • Weird how the agreement turned out when the wife was lost
  • I enjoyed the ending how the elder brother turned out to help his younger brother and in a clever way
"Gazelle"
Source: MythFolklore UnTextbook


No comments:

Post a Comment