Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Storytelling for Week 2: The Misfortune of Pyramus and Thisbe

Thisbe, young and beautiful, lived a very lonely life. She was an only child and lived with her parents in a rather big house in Babylon. It was very large. People would always walk by it slowly, staring at it in awe and admiring its massive size and delicate structure. Some would even dare to compare it to a castle. Although many people loved it from the outside, Thisbe grew to hate it from within. It was filled with many things, but she felt as though she was living in an empty space. She craved to travel to a different place filled with more possibilities. However, her parents would never allow this. They were very strict and protective of Thisbe.

One cool morning, Thisbe stared out of her bedroom window fantasizing about a life she believed she was destined to have. In the midst of her imagination running wild, she saw more people passing by. 

"Oh, great, more have arrived to admire something they know nothing about. If only they grew up in my position, they would know and they would soon grow tired of this place, too."

She continued to watch them, but something else grabbed her attention. Her eyes drifted to a young man. He caught sight of her and smiled softly. She let out a little gasp. His beautiful smile invited her. He was like no one she had ever seen before. As she was just making sense of this odd, but wonderful, connection with the stranger, he turned to leave, returning from the direction in which he came.

Thisbe, captivated by the man, ran downstairs, exclaiming to her parents that she was going for a walk as she moved towards the front door.

"Okay, but Thisbe, don't take too long. Be back within the hour," her mother replied.

Thisbe went outside, turning this way and that, looking for the mysterious man she had seen moments ago. She then spotted him, not far off, sitting under a tree. It was as if he was waiting for her to find him.

"What is your name?" Thisbe blurted out.

"Pyramus. And yours?" he replied.

"My name is Thisbe. I live in that house back that way. Where do you come from? You don't look familiar. I see a lot of people in this city but your face seems new."

"My family and I just moved here from Esar. My father was looking for a better job and thought he might be able to find it here. Personally, I was hoping to make some new friends here. Maybe you could be my first and possibly show me around?"

Without hesitation she replied, "I'd be happy to."

************
Thisbe and Pyramus spent a lot of time together. Thisbe began to take more "walks" as she would tell her parents. She was now also eager to run errands. Not long after, they fell in love. It was an inexplicable kind of love. A love so strong it could lift a thousand earths. They were sad to be apart but happy they were able to feel that for they knew their love was one that would last an eternity. 

Even sooner than they realized their love for each other, Thisbe's parents found out about them. They were quick to express that they did not approve of the relationship and would not accept it. Thisbe's father, especially, grew to hate Pyramus. Many arguments with Thisbe would lead to him losing his temper. Time and time again Thisbe would explain to her parents how she could not, and would not, stop loving Pyramus.

One day, after the worst argument she had with her father, Thisbe decided to pack her things and run away. She went to Pyramus' house and told him what had happened. Pyramus, always willing to stand by his love, ran away with her. They fled the city in search of a new life together.

************
It had been months since Thisbe and Pyramus left Babylon. Thisbe had heard talk of her parents trying to find her but she and Pyramus went far away to a city where they believe they could live together in peace. This peace that they hoped for, though, would soon come to an end. Thisbe's father became very worried, desperate and angry as he knew that his beloved, only child, had run away with Pyramus. So, he sent many men to find Thisbe and bring her back. But they were also under very strict orders to find Pyramus and kill him.

Late one evening, Pyramus left the house he and Thisbe were living in to get more food. Halfway to his destination some of Thisbe's father's men stopped him. 

"Where is she? Where is Thisbe?" the men shouted.

Knowing that the men meant nothing but trouble for her, Pyramus refused to respond. Without wasting any time, the mean began beating him up. He attempted to fight back, but to no avail. One pulled out a knife and stabbed him in his side. Pyramus lay on the ground, bleeding, and from the corner of his eye he watched the men storm off.

"I'm sorry my love," he whispered into the darkness.

As the night carried on, Thisbe became worried as Pyramus had not returned. She went to look for him and found him lying on the ground, dead. Realizing this, Thisbe, broke down and with tears streaming down her face took his body to a close friend of theirs who she knew might be able to help. Attempting to talk through her tears, she begged their friend, Theo, to bring Pyramus back. Through stuttered words and short breath, she exclaimed how she could not live without him. Theo was eager to help. He brewed a magical liquid and spread it across Pyramus' open wound. 

*************
Although it took months of waiting, Pyramus eventually woke up, and Thisbe was the first thing he laid eyes on. Knowing the danger they were still in, they immediately got their things together, thanked Theo, and fled to another city.

"Pyramus and Thisbe by Hans Baldung"
Source: Wikipedia Commons




Author's Note: I decided to retell the story of Pyramus and Thisbe (which can be found here). The original story tells of Pyramus and Thisbe, two characters that have fallen in love with each other but their parents denied their love and marriage. They decide to meet in the night one day, and Pyramus, believing a lion killed Thisbe, kills himself with his sword. Thisbe, completely fine, finds Pyramus and then kills herself with the same sword. I retold the story in a way that has a more positive ending, but still not a happily ever after as they are sort of "on the run," with no idea when the next group of men will come and try to kill Pyramus and return Thisbe to her parents. I personally really like romance stories like this one, so that's why I decided to retell it with my own touch. I liked the "Romeo and Juliet" aspect of the story and how they put their love above all else, but I wanted it in a way where they're still able to be with each other. Well, at least for a while. That's why I had Pyramus escape death in my storytelling!

Bibliography:

"Pyramus and Thisbe" translated by Tony Kline, from Ovid's Metamorphoses I (2000). Web Source: Mythology and Folklore UnTextbook  


11 comments:

  1. I liked how you made your retelling in a more modern language so that readers could understand it! I did not even need to read any previous stories or histories on the characters in order to know what is going on, which displays your skill with the word. I would just recommend to you to change 'mean' to 'men' and un-highlight 'people' at the beginning of your story. Other than that, I enjoy how you gave the story a lighter ending... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite happy that you kept Pyramus alive. I get really emotionally connected to characters in stories, so when one that I like dies, I get so upset. Your ability to keep that "Romeo and Juliet" aspect alive in your story is very impressive. It has the same depth and connection that both Pyramus and Thisbe or Romeo and Juliet has, but the light ending makes it less melancholy.

    I agree with Lauren about the two errors found. They're not major though so they didn't ruin your story. I was just a bit confused by the highlighted word.

    I look forward to reading more of your stories over the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Christineie!
    I loved the line about Thisbe growing to hate her home from within. That fit so well with the internal struggle and feelings of emptiness she was dealing with. You also did a really good job describing the change that came over her after she met Pyramus! The line about their love being “inexplicable” was great! It was really creative of you to make their story a little bit happier, but not completely unrealistic. You took what can undeniably be described as a tragedy, and made it not nearly as dim, but also not over-the-top lovely-dovey. I can definitely tell you’re a romantic!
    Overall, this was really good. There are only a couple of things I would change, besides the two already mentioned. In the first paragraph, it seemed a little repetitive to say she lived in a “rather big house” and then follow it immediately with “it was very large”. I also thought the sentence “his smile invited her” was a trifle awkward, but I think that is probably just personal preference. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you presented the background information for Thisbe. It definitely sheds light on the reason for her motivations in carrying on the love affair in secret and eventually running away with Pyramus. Nobody who was happy with their homelife would have that as their first answer! I also agree with Madison that the changes you made to the original ending made the story all the more intriguing for the young couple. No tragic end, but will their love survive being hunted and on the run?
    I don't really have any suggestions for you. I didn't notice out of place grammar or technical things to fix. As Madison pointed out, there's an occurrence of repetition in the beginning about the house and it's size. Other than that, I got nothing! It was a great retelling and I look forward to seeing more from your portfolio in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christineie, I really enjoyed this story and thought it was a great one to add to your portfolio. I really enjoyed the way you retold the story. I am sure the original must be interesting because your story was great. Just a few points to work on, maybe add more quotes that are descriptive and help you tell the stories through the characters’ voices. I think your use of names is great and adds good detail. I think more quotes would really be good and maybe more descriptive detail to the story but, I really did enjoy this and thought it was great. I think the way you wrote the story was very creative. You have a very unique voice and that really shows through your writing. I am also doing the portfolio assignment and I have found it hard to some back and add detail to the story but I think you did a great job. I need to work on adding more detail to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a good job with this story. I didn’t see grammatical errors. I liked how you added dialogue; it gives a personal touch from the main character. This was the first time I read a story with the breaks and you did a good job with that. It didn’t feel like there was information left out. You also did a good job changing the ending to them running off instead of both killing themselves. That was one part of the original I did not like, since it was really unnecessary.
    I did feel at times the sentences were a little choppy and some could have been combined with others to give it more flow. I also did feel like some of the other sentences were too long and could have been cut shorter. This seems to be the only thing but I think you did a great job and it looks like a solid entry to your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christineie,
    This was a fun retelling of a love story with an ending plot twist that I just did not see coming! Wow to her bringing him back from the dead there at the end. And a few weeks later too...sort of spooks me out there at the end like the Pet Semetary by Stephen King. I really liked how the kids met and bonded and then became friends and grow up to depend on each other and cannot imagine life without each other. I feel this is the best part of the story, the meat and potatoes of it!

    I love the font you have chosen, but I think I told you that on a different story I read of yours. You have done a great job of telling the story, I don't really see anything that I would change or add. I look forward to reading more of your stories soon. (if you see that I deleted a post it is because I hit the wrong button and published the post before I did the word count, sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christine! The portfolio looks very interesting. The layout of the blog and the font style compliment each other really nicely. The font seemed like it would be used in a love letter, which goes well in a love story theme.

    I really like how you retold the original one. I'm glad you changed it up and we were able to have a happy ending. Very well done on the details, because they added a nice touch to the story. I didn't see the ending coming btw, which is always very nice to see in a story. Good job. One error I found is the word "mean", which I think you meant man. That was it for the errors, so good job on that.

    Again, great story! And a great start to the portfolio! I hope you carry on this way on to the other stories. I will come back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know that the original so closely resembled Romeo and Juliet. That is so interesting. You did a great job with this retelling. I thought it was awesome how you made them on the run instead of having them kill themselves. It is true that is not necessarily a happy ending, since they will always be on the run. But it is certainly more optimistic than having them both kill themselves.I find it interesting that this idea of running away from your parents can still be sympathized with today. I think I have seen some young couples talk about doing this. Your writing was very good and detailed. It was very easy to follow. I am eager to read more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Christine! I enjoyed reading your story this week. I'm so happy it had a happy ending. I was worried for a moment that it was going to end tragically. Babylon is one of my favorite places to read about so I was excited about your story's setting. I think you did a great job of breaking the story up into little sections. The paragraph size made the story easy to read, but the font makes it more difficult. You had some beautiful sentences in this story. My favorite was: "A love so strong it could lift a thousand earths." You did a great job of depicting the love between Pyramus and Thisbe. In the first paragraph of the third section it should be "a city where they 'believed' they could" instead of "believe." Overall, I think you did a great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete