Monday, September 7, 2015

Reading Diary A: Homer's Odyssey


The link to this unit can be found here.

  • I think the cyclopes are an important part. I'd probably like to keep that in my storytelling. 
  • Personality: "lawless, aggressive people, who never lift their hands to plant or plough, but rely on the immortal gods."
  • The cyclopes "live in echoing caves on the mountain slopes.."
  • Island
  • Wine* - important aspect of the story. Obtained from Ismarus
  • Gifts from Maron - twelve jars of wine
  • 1st person perspective*
  • I like the part where instead of leaving, Odysseus and his men stay and encounter the giant (cyclopes). It would have been best to leave, probably, but it makes the story more exciting.
  • The conversation between the Cyclopes and Odysseus
  • The Cyclopes doesn't seem very forgiving or nice
  • I'm not sure whether I would change parts of the Cyclopes personality or acts. Like him murdering and eating two of Odysseus friends. I don't think he should be an angel, per say, but I could change some things..
  • A possible Achilles heel? - wine
  • I particularly like Odysseus saying his name is Nobody and how the end of this story plays out.
  • If I focus on the story, I could change the way he is injured. 
  • As the last ram was stopped by the Cyclops I was worried Odysseus wouldn't escape but he did. I think this was a good add. 
  • Odysseus seems to get himself and his men in trouble whether it by his words or his curiosity.
  • In all of the violence and masculinity in the previous stories I like the introduction of the beautiful goddess Circe that has a sweet singing voice. However, it turns out she did something evil to the men. She turned them into pigs 
"Roman mosaic showing a Cyclops"
Source: Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment