Saturday, September 12, 2015

Reading Diary B: Indian Fairy Tales

The link to this unit and the stories can be found here

The Talkative Tortoise

  • Interesting story to me, I think that tortoise's last words were both terrible and sad. This also felt like karma towards the tortoise for what he had said just before falling.
  • I liked the logic of the ducks telling the tortoise not to talk. At first I thought it was for a different reason since the ducks did not say explicitly why the tortoise should hold his tongue.
  • Another part that I enjoyed about this story is how the very beginning introduces the king, who is also very talkative, and the future Buddha. Then, it tells the tortoise's story, and at the end it connects the two. I found that style of telling the plot pretty cool.
  • I like the title of this story
  • This was a good read, the robbers got what they deserved in the end
  • I'm glad one of the merchants was able to think up a plan and I also liked the fact that there was a song with key words only they could understand. It remind me of entire languages-this could be a replacement to that part.
  • To start off, I like the familial linkage aspect between the Sun, Moon, Wind, Thunder, Star and Lightning
  • One of my favorite stories from the unit. I really like learning about the moon and stars, etc. and in this story the moon is the choice character who gets treated the best. 
  • The connection between reasons why the sun is hot or why the wind is not liked in hot weather and the Star's curses were intriguing and fun to read. 
The Talkative Tortoise
Source: Mythology and Folklore UnTextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment