Sunday, September 13, 2015

Week 3: Growth Mindset

Beyond School.

This week, I decided to do the "Beyond School" challenge. I have two aspects where I think I could apply this approach outside of school. The first one is work. I currently work as a pharmacy technician. My job entitles me to do things such as taking care of and filling prescriptions, working with customers, and other miscellaneous things. When I first got hired as a pharmacy technician there was a lot of information to learn and take in. However, I'm still learning new things everyday. I always take a different route other than shortcuts just so I know that I'm really learning about the job. Being a pharmacist is what I'm ultimately working towards so I think it's important to learn as much about the field as possible and truly learn my job.

The other aspect is, of course, writing (I feel like I talk about this a lot, but it really is something I enjoy..so this definitely isn't the last of it)! I'm always trying to grow everyday in writing. I read a lot of things, even if it's something short, I check out books on writing, I attempt to write even a little bit outside of class, I reread my writing, etc., etc. Continuously learning about an art honestly helps to understand it better and become more skilled in it so that's what I try to do as often as I can!

"Pharmacist's Mortar"
Source: Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, Christine! I'm someone who always like work even better than school because at work (and I had all kinds of odd jobs because I put myself through school that way), it was up to me to decide what I could learn and take away from the job. There was no syllabus, no test, no grade... and it was up to me if I learned anything or not. And I learned a ton. I remember lots more about the jobs I had in high school and in college than I do about my actual college classes!

    And I am so glad you are excited about writing: to me, that is the most powerful technology of all. People get all excited about their cellphones, for example, but if they are mostly using their phones to text, what is the real technology here...??? Writing!

    Happy Friday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine,

    I think you have found two really good fields to focus on other than school. Both are very important, practical and important for success. I think it is really impressive that you are not taking shortcuts at work. Many people focus on the result rather than the educational path that you take to get the result. I personally think it becomes much harder to do something if you have not learned it in depth.

    Like you, I am constantly trying to improve my writing. Becoming a better writer can only help a person, it can never hinder you.

    Great post! I look forward to reading more of them.

    ReplyDelete